Wednesday, May 6, 2009

An Abundance of Teeth!

So I went to a dentist appointment for a consult about getting my wisdom teeth removed, and they took the extra of my mouth, and the first thing the dentist says after looking at it is:
"You have some extra teeth."
Me: "What? As in, I have more than 32 teeth?"
Dentist: "Yep. Looks like you have some extra wisdom teeth growing in."
Beat.
So he lets me take a look, and sure enough, behind that third molar is another tooth! In two places! The average mouth can hold 28 teeth, which is why the four extra teeth (putting you at 32 teeth) have to be removed. But, lucky me, I have 34 teeth.
It's kind of cool, if you think about it, until you look at the bill, and see that those teeth are charged the same as the others. :(
Apparently it's pretty uncommon, but not SUPER rare. I always knew I was kind of strange, but now I have empirical evidence! At this rate though, soon I'll look like this:
Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

RandiSue said...

WOW!

I was a dental assistant for 8 years and I never saw EXTRA teeth.

Anonymous said...

Steven had an extra front tooth, that had to be pulled before the permanent tooth could come in.....we called it the alein tooth. The dentist said it was probably caused by a high fever when he was a baby..mutates the tooth buds..or something like that.

Lindsay said...

Haha, that's wild.